03 December 2011

Water birds

Location: Hunter Wetlands Centre, Shortland, N.S.W. 



Eurasian Coot Fulica altra.  According to Birds in Backyards this breed is found from Eurasia to Indonesia, New Guinea and Australia, and more recently New Zealand.  Especially aggressive during the breeding season, and have the ability to dive for food 7 m below.  I found this fact quite amazing. 







 with a Dusky Moorhen Gallinula tenebrosa

 
Interesting fact noted on Birds in Backyards re the Dusky Moorhen, is that two or more females will lay their eggs in the same nest and all members of the group will incubate the eggs and feed the young. 




Various eggs were displayed inside a glass show-case



Australasian Grebe Tachybaptus novaehollandiae.  Thanks to Birds in Backyards, I have learnt from this link, that Grebes eat their own feathers and feed them to their young to prevent injury when swallowing fish bones.  

Sharing here with

14 comments:

Nadege, said...

Interesting facts and wonderful photos. Such unusual looking birds with their white face.
Love the reflection in the last one image.

Leovi said...

Amazingly, I like these birds, pretty colors and reflections.

Jeanne said...

These are all very interesting looking and enjoy the facts about them! The Coot has some interesting red eyes..... they look like the Loon that I am familiar with from where I grew up. Thanks for sharing these interesting birds Carole.

lotusleaf said...

Gorgeous photos, and interesting facts. I have seen these coots in lakes here too, but I didn't know the name.

TexWisGirl said...

the grebe feather thing is interesting! and i just love those big rubbery snaky looking feet on the coot!

Unknown said...

Hi Carole
Nice pics. They are interesting looking birds, I have not seen these before. Ev

Brian King said...

Great photos, Carole! The white head, red eyes, and feet on the coot are fantastic! I like the yellow moorhen bill, too!

theconstantwalker said...

A wonderful post Carole...
Your beautiful images could have been taken in the UK the sunshine and shadows give it away though.
It's starting to get quite cold over here now.
It looks like a beautiful place to visit...
Take care xx

Valerie said...

Wonderful ripples and reflections Carole. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

Ms. Becky said...

whoa, these are some beautiful birds, I've never seen them before. I especially like the white on the top of their heads. and their strange-looking blue feet. you've captured some awesome reflections too! thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello, I truly appreciate it. happy weekend to you!

Dianne said...

A wonderful collection of water-birds Carole - I love the dusky moor hen with its white patch and the little Grebe looks so peaceful paddling away in the sunshine - you caught his reflection beautifully.
Have a wonderful week-end.

"Adelaide and Beyond"

Roy said...

Hi Carole,
Coots are the same and very numerous in UK.
Your Moorhen is slightly different and the Grebe has the same colourings as our Dabchick (Little Grebe) in its summer plumage

Jan Castle said...

Wonderful reflection pics!
Jan

Sharyl said...

It's looking warm, and I'm wishing I was there instead of here in these dropping temperatures again! :-) Great Springtime photos, Carole!