28 December 2011

Wangi Point, Lake Macquarie

Today's little excursion took me to Wangi Point, pronounced Won-gee.


Looking down into the outlet canal, property of Eraring Power Station.  Said to have warm waters and sometimes, weekends,  I've seen keen fishermen lined up around this area.  The concrete pilons I expect are to slow down the water rush.




Next, the other side of the outlet, as it runs out to the lake.  It was over this area I saw many Pipers I think they might've been.  Similar to a seagull but with a longer, fine-pointed beak.  Winging very swiftly overhead; up in the air current and then diving.  I tried to get a snapshot in flight, but no luck.  Each time I'd raise my pocket-camera I'd lose sight of the bird in the viewfinder, somewhat hindered with a combination of sunglasses and glare.  Maybe I'll go back with my 'big-camera' some day with a goal to sit and wait and hope for a better opportunity of nabbing them.


A Willie Wagtail Rhipidura leucophrys.  Check out this fact sheet if you wish, and find the MP3 format on the lower right hand side, at Birds in Backyards.  A sweet call has the Willie Wagtail, thanks to Fred Van Gessel.


Couldn't resist a little bit of graphic-magic.This stand of native grasses seemed to be just the setting.



Sharing with A Southern Daydreamer for:



17 comments:

Luna Miranda said...

these are beautiful photos. i love your composition on the first photo--makes me want to climb that trunk.:p
and the bird shot--it's gorgeous!

Julie said...

Ooo you are relatively close to me. I have a younger brother who lives at Jewells just a hop from Redhead Beach.

2sweetnsaxy said...

What a great spot. Love the shots.

Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Sweet photos! I would love to roam that place too :-)
I never heard of a Willie Wagtail, way cool :D!

Sivinden said...

Beautiful scenery and a cute, little bird:) It's fun playing with photos - lovely shades of blue.

NatureFootstep said...

thanks for the links on the wagtail. This one looks nothing like the ones we have. So nice to see other kinds. :)

Happy New Year to you.

Jeanne said...

Lovely photos Carole, and your graphic magic is really fun! Love doing that. Have a great day!

TexWisGirl said...

cool wagtail bird! love that water shot of the 'river'. :)

Modesto Viegas said...

Great graphic-magic!!!
Regards

Nature Rambles said...

This seems like such a wonderful area to walk about with a camera. Thanks for the link..I'll check it out. I have seen two kinds of wagtails here and it'd be nice to read up on them. Nice captures!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Enjoyed this post a lot! I often have to remind myself that I used to be thrilled just to SEE birds -- and I shouldn't be disappointed if I don't get a picture of them now. (But like you I often can't help wishing I had a better camera with me). The birds you did get are great and the swirly water is beautiful.

Burtine said...

Carole you should be designing fabric. That last shot of the grass is stunning. I would not be able to resist buying that fabric for a quilt.

Laure Ferlita said...

What a great place to visit! Love the graphic-magic....love that cobalt/violet middle ground.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday and I wish you a fabulous New Year as well!

Kelly said...

...I love those sunny, blue skies. It looks so warm and wonderful...

Nadege, said...

I love the edit on the grass shot.
Looks like such a peaceful place to visit.

Jan Castle said...

Great shots...love the bird on the tree!
Jan

Liz said...

Wonderful post Carole! That water looks very powerful - I wouldn't want to fall in. The lake looks beautiful. What a lovely spot.
Its often difficult to capture the smaller birds as they move so fast. Even with my "big camera", I find it difficult to capture them in flight.