08 October 2013

Dandry Gorge - Sculptures in the (Pilliga) Scrub - Part Two


Enjoyed the stretches of level walking paths like this, even though the day became very hot further into the journey.  



the board reads: "My real name is William Bates, but they call me Badger.  My piece, I call it Connections, that's with the earth and stars and stuff like that. I chose this stone from Wilcannia because we believe, my people believe, that the Rainbow Serpent not only lives in the rivers, but it lives in the springs underground, and if we don't try and look after the environment more, it's going to be ruined."



detail of these mosaics is mentioned in this article featuring things to see and do in the Warrumbungle region.

It reads in part that the artist of these mosaic pieces (5) in total, is Pamela Denise from Nymbodia.  It is her interpretation of the women of the Pilliga.

This was my favourite

There were some wild flowers happening here and there to admire, and the sounds of birds too, though they were very difficult to capture.  Yes, I tried.  Sun in wrong direction, too much foliage, lots of excuses.  Heading on down towards the gorge now.....




This area would have been the perfect place for the Aboriginals to camp; encapsulated by a huge rock wall along one side, lots of tall timbers, and flat areas too to set up camp by the creek.  It was very serene to be standing down here after walking all along the top of the ridge before this.


 A better look to the rock wall from here and I'm wanting to show you something at the top of it.  One of the sculptures already featured in Part One ...you will see it better in the last photo, next.

there is Brett Garling's, First Lesson, bathed in sunlight, looking out over the scenic Dandry Gorge.

15 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Carole That is a wonderful place with all these sculptures. The Lesson is so high up at the top of the big rock.It is a pity you cannot see it closer as I am sure the front is as wonderful as the back of it. Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

Looks like a place I could spend hours. Wonderful photos. I like the sculptures!

Carole M. said...

Margaret, The Lesson is featured in my Part One link which shows on this post. You will remember it ...

Joop Zand said...

Thats again a very good post Carole, nice place and i like photo 1 and 4 very much.

Greetings, Joop

Irma said...

Beautiful images with mosaics.
The last picture, with the sculpture on top is beautiful
Very well photographed, Carole

Dianne said...

Real Australian bush Carole I'm sure those wild-flowers were little gems.

Unknown said...

That is such an interesting walk trail Carole. Just love those sculptures along the way.

Christian Perrin said...

Lovely idea to feature Aboriginal sculpture in a 'natural gallery'. The lonely figure on the clifftop makes for a sad sight though - almost a ghost-like echo from a time we have lost.

TexWisGirl said...

i liked the carved benches. :)

Montanagirl said...

Hi Carole! What a great place to visit. Loved all the sculptures and scenery.

Helma said...

What a nice paths to walk this Carole :-)
I see that you meet all the beautiful works :-)
Also beautiful and lots of nature.

Dzjiedzjee said...

What a beautiful place and art work! You did a great job Carole!

Warm greetings from the Netherlands,
dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

Brian King said...

The sculptures are fantastic! The detail is just wonderful. Love those trees, too! Beautiful country!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

More neat area I would love to go for a hike in.

Ida said...

What an interesting place you visited. I enjoyed seeing your photos. Loved the carvings, the mosaics and the statues. I think it would be fun to visit this place.