13 October 2013

Common Koel

One mid-morning this week, there was a rucous out in the bush-corridor. When I walked out to take a look and see what bird was making that noise, I saw a familiar Wattlebird flying away. Left standing was this juvenile Common Koel (cuckoo).

While this has occurred for the past three years at least, i.e. Wattlebird raising a Common Koel and nesting in a nearby very tall bottlebrush tree, this was the first sighting of a new babe'! I guess the young Wattlebird siblings have flitted about in-cognito, and not nearly as obvious as the noisy Koel turns out to be.

now its left wondering where Mum has shot through to?!





it became very windy a while later when I went back for some more photos, and the Koel was holding tight while keeping its feet warm it seemed

then it started to shower, and I could hear the Koel singing out as I retreated.  I'm sure it's days of being tucked snugly into a nest now are well gone.

It was March last year, when I was lucky to pick up photos of the Wattlebird nurturing the Common Koel, shown in this blog post, at the same location.  When I note it being March, I'm curious now, about such an extended breeding season?  Poor Mums!  

22 comments:

Montanagirl said...

It sure is a beautiful bird! Almost built like a hawk.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

He looks quite big to be a juvenile! Interesting spots on the head and wings and stripes on the tail.
I always find your birds beautiful and interesting.

Ramakrishnan said...

Amazing pictures of the normally elusive bird which generally remains out of sight.

Our photos said...

Beautiful bird photos!
Greetings, RW & SK

Isidro Ortiz said...

Buenas capturas de esta bonita ave.Un abrazo

Joop Zand said...

Very nice this bird.....good photo's Carole.

Greetings, Joop

Christian Perrin said...

Great photos! I just love these birds! Although sadly, some cuckoos instinctively kill their siblings so maybe that's why you haven't seen Wattlebird fledglings? Not sure if Koels do that though...

Irma said...

Good pictures of this beautiful bird, Carole.
Great Sunday, Irma

eileeninmd said...

What a cool looking bird, interesting post on the Wattlebird raising this Common Koel. Wonderful photos, Carole!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

amazing colors. what a beauty. ( :

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

Fabulous photos of this special bird. I like the feathers and the patterns of this bird. Great !
Best regards, Synnöve

Unknown said...

Thanks Carole
I've never really got a good look at these guys coming from down south.
When I have been close to their calls I remember finding them impossible to localise!

TexWisGirl said...

i love how the cuckoos all have the same shape - but yours had such wonderful feather patterns! i feel sorry for the wattlebirds. :)

Brian King said...

I really like the pattern on those long tail feathers!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

His markings are very similar to our Roadrunner. Interesting post Carole.

Dzjiedzjee said...

Very nice! This is a special bird I think :-)

Greetings to you from the Netherlands,
dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

Jan Castle said...

Not so common here...never saw one before - beautiful pics Carole!!!

Stewart M said...

Great pictures!

Is having these about very noisy?

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

PS; I almost feel well today - thankfully!

Carole M. said...

good to know you're pretty much on top of your virus now Stewart. Yes, when the Koel is wanting to be bed or, being fed, it's very vocal.

Wally Jones said...

It's always fascinating how some species take the strange baby in and take care of it as their own.
Lovely photographs of the young Koel!

theconstantwalker said...

What a lovely little cuckoo Carole your birds never cease to amaze me... lovely images.

theconstantwalker said...

What a lovely little cuckoo Carole your birds never cease to amaze me... lovely images.