18 June 2013

Rufous (a.k.a. Nankeen) Night Heron

 Location: Myuna Bay, Lake Macquarie


Standing on a little wooden bridge, down there on the left,  above the mangroves, a 'buff-coloured' larger bird shape? Didn't have binoculars since when I'm out to get photos of birds I need something close enough to spot with my eyes first. If they're that far away to need binoculars, it's no good photographing them.  Having said that, of course binoculars would've been really handy cause at least I could have identified the bird instead of waiting till I got home to view pics on my computer. Yet I continue to go out without them (habit), for sake of less encumbrance.  Shouldn't be admitting to this should I?

The buildings on the lake there belong to a recreational camp often used for school excursions and others.

it stood still like this ... for ages.  As I did too, wondering was it a bird; or was it a bit of branch?

and then it turned its head ... it was a bird!  Better still, it is a Rufous Night Heron.

Sharing with Our World Tuesday

18 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

Fantastic Rufous Night Heron, I have never seen one, and more likely, never will. Lovely pictures.

Irma said...

Beautiful pictures, Carole.
The Rufous Night Heron I've never seen, does not occur here.
Regards, Irma

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful bird and great shots! It looks a lot like our Black Crowned Night heron.

mick said...

Fantastic to see and photograph the Rufous Night Heron - that's one I still need good photos of. I don't take my binocs out with my camera either - too many straps around my neck get very confusing!

Anonymous said...

What a thrill! Lovely shots.

Unknown said...

Great capture!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

that is wild how camouflage he is ... so cool. ( :

Marcia said...

It pays to be patient!

Richard Waring said...

Lovely shots Carole, with a zoom like that (compared to your first photo anyway), who needs the bins!

TexWisGirl said...

he's beautiful! lovely soft coloration!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

You continue to amaze me with the quality of pictures you get being so far away from your subject. I am envious Carole. As for me and binoculars, I bring them along and there is nothing to look at. I leave them in the car, and critters are everywhere to see causing me to think "%#@&! I should have brought the binoculars."

Evelyn S. said...

You have the best eye for birds, Carole! I'm always amazed at the images you capture! As for me, I'm "capturing" flower images, I guess. My poppy for Texture Tuesday grows in a barrel in front of a bank....early in the morning, I saw how the light was hitting the poppies, so I went home and got my camera.

Karen said...

Cool shots!

Montanagirl said...

What a fabulous find! That's a great shot.

Brian King said...

It's a beautiful heron! It looks a lot like our smaller herons. I know what you mean about carrying stuff. I don't always carry my bino's, either. Sometimes traveling lighter is better.

Helma said...


Hi Carole,

what a beautiful capture this heron in the tree.
I never see this heron but also you were lucky enough to see him. In the tree Nice that shows you the distance in the first picture :-)

Roy Norris said...

Well spotted Carole.
Going out without bins, shocking.!!

Jan Castle said...

Nice surprise for you Carole...great pictures! Again, never heard of this bird...seems that is my mantra - LOL!
Hugs,
Jan