09 June 2013

Pelican

Today was such a lovely weather day it seemed a totally good choice to get out and enjoy it .. with my camera.  The pelicans down near The Entrance, Central Coast, N.S.W., made for good subjects. 


      

this pelican's eye doesn't seem to be in good shape but then, 'who's perfect?' I love the crew cut.








Question;  have you seen this movie? 

Movies have never been a big thing to me; it's that compulsory sit-in-your-seat for one to three hours that I can't take on board.  In a theatre, the feeling of being hemmed in with too-many-decibals bouncing off the walls, is testing.  How can you possibly get into the movie when being inflicted with pain?

Some time ago "The Big Year" had been mentioned and though this movie showed up here in Australia, a little over twelve months ago, it was only yesterday that I finally got to see it (not in a theatre).

Cast includes Jack Black, Steve Martin, Owen Wilson, and they compete against all odds, to pick up the numbers of most bird species seen/heard over a twelve month period.  If you're a birder, you've got to see the very funny side of this movie like I did, and enjoy a good old-fashioned belly-laugh every now and then.

12 comments:

Adrienne W said...

Aren't pelicans just the most graceful big birds!
We have them perched on the street lights along the Bribie bridge most days.
It's fun to watch them come in to land, just like Boeing 747s!
Terrific photos, Carole!

theconstantwalker said...

Wonderful images Carole... nothing like them on my patch.

Irma said...

Hi Carole, what great pictures of the pelican.
The first is really quite amazing.
Regards, Irma

eileeninmd said...

Pelicans are cool birds and one of my favorites! Awesome shots, love the closeups!

Montanagirl said...

Nice Pelican shots! Love the "eye". I have seen that movie advertised. I'd probably enjoy it too,

TexWisGirl said...

i did see that movie - on cable. :)

love the close-up of the silly pelican.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Pelican are such neat birds. I am with you 100% on movie going. When I am dragged to one against my will, I take ear plugs. It helps. Did see The Big Year, in the comfort of my own home via Netflix which included a clean environment, cheap movie snacks and drinks and dressed in comfortable pajamas. Can't beat that for the price.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Great photos of the pelican, Carole. I love the crew cut too but also the spread out wings!

Dianne said...

I think that top pelicans been preening with a bit of hair-gel.
Must watch out for "The Big Year"

Deanna said...

Yes, I did enjoy that movie...show the lengths some birders go thru...funny movie!! Great captures of the pelican...almost doesn't look real!!

Karen said...

Marvellous captures! I love pelicans!

Laura said...

How awesome to see this pelican close up. I didn't realize how large his "beak" was compared to the rest of his body! I love being able to see that "crew cut" up close and personal! Thanks for the wonderful shots, Carole!