27 April 2014

it's not always birds you see when birding, of course...

After a deluge of rain in thunderstorms the day before, yesterday was diaried for a group birding excursion down the coast.  Thankfully, the weather was calm, though mostly overcast.

Though I hope to come home with a camera bulging with fantastic photographs of birds, it doesn't often happen that way.  Since there are few 'bird' photographs and more location and other photographs to share, I wondered for a while - should I split them between Snap Happy Online, and Snap Happy Birding? I'd even started this post in Snap Happy Online. Then I thought.........no, I'll show you the sequence of the little venture, right here, over several posts instead.

The group were to meet opposite this quaint little church in the Yarramalong Valley, with lots of chit-chat as we sign our names on the clipboard and wait for others to arrive.

We walked across to the church from 1885 -  history is here



native Maiden-hair fern

along this mossy carpet pathway beside the church

the group had been looking at some bird/s in the tall trees here 

it wasn't until we'd returned to the cars that this Lewins Honeyeater obligingly perched itself on the Honeysuckle growing on the opposite/church side, of the road.  Over there, where we'd been!   Glad I was able to pick up my first catch-of-the-day, my record-shots, in the lens.   

Birdlife Australia fact-sheet here  has taught me that not only is it a honeyeater, but is [sometimes referred to as the 'Bananabird or 'Orange-bird' since is is renowned for its appetite for fruit]

to be continued...as we journey on to a new spot

13 comments:

Irma said...

Beautiful pictures, Carole.
Nice place for walking and bird watching.
Greetings Irma

Bob Bushell said...

What a wonderful walk you had and ending with the Lewins Honeyeater.

eileeninmd said...

what a pretty setting for your outing! The little church is beautiful. I love the ferns and moss. The bird is pretty. Lovely photos. Have a happy day and week ahead!

Waldameise Andrea said...

Diese Art Farn habe ich hier bei uns noch nie gesehen. Sieht besonders schön aus ... wie im Märchen.

Ein lieber Gruß
von der Waldameise

Brian King said...

It almost has a medieval feel to it! That particular honeyeater is a new one for me.

TexWisGirl said...

adorable church! i loved the mosses and ferns - don't see too much of that here in texas. :)

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

Fantastic photos of this special place. I like all this moments in your pictures.
Best regards, Synnöve

Montanagirl said...

What a pretty bird!

Jeanne said...

What a beautiful spot this looks like, and so glad that you got that little honey eater. Sadly, birds don't always keep their appointments for the "photo shoot", LOL, but how wonderful to get out and see all that God had to offer us. So many people that I meet in my work are just sitting at home wishing they had something to do! So good that we are not in that group! Hugs to you from Texas!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Carole Oh I just wanted to out with you and the group. glad you managed to catch the Lewin's and the that fifth shot wold be good for Tex's Good Fences on Thursday. I now am seeing fences in my sleep!!!

Ida said...

What a pretty little church and such a lovely place you visited. I love the photo of the steps and the maiden hair ferns.

Laura said...

Beautiful shot of the stone steps...and of the Lewins Honeyeater! Actually all your photos are wonderful, Carole! Thanks for sharing! hugs, Laura

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Carole, I'm doing a catchup after being offline for a few days.
Starting at the beginning of your birding trip... sounds like it will be fun.
A really nice spot to start. Love the church, the ferns and the mossy path :D)