07 December 2012

Blue tongue (lizard), again ...

These lizards come, and they go a wandering somewhere for a few weeks sometimes.  Or they just end up in another part of the garden where I don't get to see them; maybe out the front 'mongst all the shrubbery.

Stumpy without the tail -- is often sighted in this spot just outside the back door, so when I noticed it there again this morning I went and got the camera for some snapshots. 

 looking a little unimpressed?
 
 This was where it started ...it's just checking out to be sure there's no stranger-danger
 
 well, there was me to account for; decisions, decisions
 
 but I guess I'm considered a push-over. 

This one seems to be carrying a couple of reptile ticks near to the ear canal.  On it's other side they are buried in the ear canal.  I've read up online and it is suggested that they will eventually kill the host by sucking blood and progressively poisoning what's left; oh dear.  Last year's photographs showed the ticks up also, so I'm unsure quite how long this progression takes place.  Nor do I know how long the ticks have been there to date, maybe long before I started taking photographs.
 
 
 about here seems fine, where I can flatten out and pick up some solar charging
 
 this way's better apparently
 
nope, maybe over here.
 The tail end for Stumpy.

and this one the other day was also out sunning but luckily still has its tail.
 
Notation:  Often young blue-tongues if picked up by a kookaburra will escape their wrath by dropping their tail

More reading can be found this fact sheet/blue-tongue lizards

17 comments:

Sharyl said...

I swear to goodness, this is the cutest, creepiest creature I've ever seen. At times, I can picture him on a public television show reading to kids or maybe with some spectacles doing a commercial. Otherwise, he just gives me the willies! There's be loads of screaming going on if that thing popped up on my door step! :-) Love your photos of him though. He's a cutie at a distance of 1/2 way around the world! ha!

Joop Zand said...

WOW..... very good photo's Carole

Greetings, Joop

Dianne said...

Ha! This is SO cute .... he looks very handsome and I almost think he's quite enjoying this little modeling stint.

eileeninmd said...

Cool looking lizard and wonderful photos!

Irma said...

Great pictures Carole, the snake is beautiful.
Have a nice day, Irma

Shaun said...

Hi Carole, you have just become my favourite No.1 all time blogger. Ive been looking for someone else who would post reptile photos, being a reptile nut myself.
These blue tongues are awesome, more commonly related to snakes than lizards (under developed legs and flicking tongue) the only time we see them here in the UK is in the pet trade and the command a pretty tall price tag. A sunning animal.
Have an awesome weekend

Mathilda said...

Uii, sieht gefährlich aus, aber wunderschöne scharfe Fotos!

LG Mathilda

TexWisGirl said...

fabulous shots! loved seeing this prehistoric creature up close and personal!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Great photos allowing me to study every detail. What a marvelous animal.

LindyLouMac said...

Fabulous close ups of your resident lizards.

Evelyn S. said...

I LOVE lizards! What wonderful images you've captured here, Carole!

Montanagirl said...

Amazing! Great photos. I have great distance vision now after cataract surgery on both eyes. However, I'm having trouble with seeing and reading things up close. I have about 3 to 4 weeks before I can get a new glasses prescription.

Jan Castle said...

Ohhh - ticks; gross....did not ever think about lizzards getting ticks! But he/she is still interesting - great pics Carole!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Oh I love the one where he is peaking over the edge!
Thanks for all your nice comments on my last few posts!

Marilyn said...

My husband loves reptiles (except for snakes). We have four blue tongues in our garage in habitats. I'm going to show him your post here.

Judy said...

Wonderful study of the lizard!!

Liz said...

Great post Carole. I love that third shot!!