An easy walk from Circular Quay
Engraved text on bronze plaques around each side of the sandstone pedestal read:
"This anchor belonged to H.M.S. Sirius which convoyed the First Fleet, sailed from the Isle of Wight 13th May 1787, arrived in Botany Bay 20th January 1788, anchored in Sydney Cove Saturdy 26th January 1788. And was wrecked 19th March 1790, at Point Ross Norfolk Island, whence this anchor was recovered through the efforts of Sir F. Suttor. Erected 1907"
..an intruiging way of noting the day, with the 'a' missingAccording to Sydney history archives this obelisk was erected by Governor Macquarie in 1818 to mark the place from which public roads in the colony were measured.
Plaque next the canon reads: this gun is believed to have formed part of the armament of the HMS Sirius, the flagship of the First Fleet, which entered Port Jackson in 1788. The gun was returned to Sydney after the HMS Sirius was wrecked at Norfok Island in 1790 and used as a signal gun at South Head. This gun was placed here in 1907.
and a statue erected 1883, backs onto this seating area
Dedicated to Thomas Sutcliffe Mort
Plaque reads: A pioneer of Australian resources, a founder of Australian industries. One who established our wool market. The first to make exports of perishable food possible by refrigeration and to provide docks for the reception of the world's shipping. A founder of the Australian Mutual Provident Society and foremost in every movement for the care and welfare of his fellow citizens who in gratitude erected this monument to his memory.