16 October 2012

Blue-tongue Lizard is back

Several springs have been and gone, and generally during September I sight 'Stumpy' the blue-tongue, often basking in the sunshine, in this very spot.  While not in the sunshine for these photographs, it was nice to see her for the first time this season, out of hibernation.

Assuming it is a female now, since I saw a baby version only just yesterday.  Other years there have been one or two little ones around too.  For some reason I thought of it as a he!   I know it is the same blue-tongue for the stumpy-end/tail missing.  This is not a rare occurence as often young blue-tongues can be taken for food source by the kookaburras.  I guess this one was a hit, and miss.  Lucky she escaped the full wrath, and lived on.




 not a clear shot but depicts the damaged tail end
 
Previous posts on this same lizard, here,  and here .


9 comments:

diane b said...

She's a beauty and will keep away the mice. I captured some water dragons at the Canberra Botanical gardens last week.

► JOTA ENE ◄ said...

Beautiful photos .../

http://photoessencia.blogspot.com/

Irma said...

Great pictures Carole, the first picture I find really super photographed .

Montanagirl said...

It's pretty scary looking to me. Like a snake with legs!!

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful snake-like appearance!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

What a neat looking lizard but it appears they got short-changed when it comes to the legs. They need to be a bit longer.

Brian King said...

Up close they're rather menacing looking. You took some wonderful shots!

Kerri Farley said...

WOW - What a unique beauty she has!! I LOVE it!

Sharyl said...

You seem to get closer to that creature every time you photograph it...or hopefully you are using a longer lens! :-)

I'm afraid I'll run screaming if I ever come face-to-face with one!