15 August 2014

Coastal lagoon meeting point


Here was the 8.30 a.m. meeting point for a small group of birders.  It had been showering the night before and earlier on during the morning as I drove on down the coast, and we all were hopeful that the skies would clear up.  

Within the next fifteen minutes someone spotted a White-Bellied Sea-Eagle.  It was way over the other side of the lagoon there, and being hassled by a crow.


How brave, or indignant of the crow!  Gosh, you'd think the beak of a W.B.S-eagle could snap a crows neck in half!



Purple Swamphen





missed getting a shot of this Egret in flight ... before it made it here.  I'm forever hopeful of one of those jaw-dropping-extended legs-gliding-in-flight photos!  

a visitor heading our way at morning-tea-break

then after another short drive, a brief stop off here to sight albatross ... way out


...to be continued

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Carole, I love your eagle shots. Your eagle is beautiful. It is neat to see the action with the crow..The swamp hen and duck are cute..Beautiful scenery and great shots. Have a happy weekend!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Really interesting sky.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Carole,
Nice shots & story as always
To me that's a peculiar looking duck! Was there consensus on what it was? Pacific Black-Mallard hybrid?

Irma said...

Hi Carole,
Beautiful photos of the eagle and the crow that bother him.
Beautiful scenery especially the last two pictures.
I wish you a very nice weekend.

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful scenes and birds! that eagle - wow!

thewovenspoke said...

Hello, great shots I really like the eagle and the swamp hen. waiting for the next post. Have a great week.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

One day a month or so ago we had a half a dozen crows dive-bombing a Redtail Hawk sitting high in a pine tree. The hawk seemed non-concerned in the least. I just watched. Didn't think of taking a picture.

Anonymous said...

Such lovely shots.

Rhonda Albom said...

Are you in Australia or New Zealand? I ask as I am new to your blog and thought Pukeko (purple swamp hen) were only here in New Zealand - yet I see an Aussie flag. Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Carole M. said...

thanks for all comments here, and to PETE Shanley, those mixed duck varieties can be debatable so that's why I didn't put a tag to it. However, your guess Pacific Black-Mallard hybrid is what I thought too. RHONDA Albom, yes I'm on east coast Australia, Lake Macquarie.

Brian King said...

The eagle is very impressive! I'm used to seeing dark colored raptors. Beautiful photos of the swamphen!

Christian Perrin said...

Always nice to see a Sea-Eagle, Carole, and you've really captured an action shot there with the Crow. I imagine that a Crow's beak is designed just right for harassment and intimidation - long, robust and sharp - so maybe even huge birds of prey are wary.

Stewart M said...

These eagles really are huge! Don't see them very often, but its great when I do!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Laura said...

Wonderful photos! The one of the eagle and crow is amazing! The first shot of the coastal lagoon makes me feel like I'm right there viewing the reflections of land in the water. My favorite though, is the ocean scene with waves crashing on the rocks! I love feeling like I'm right there with you, Carole, enjoying your beautiful Australia!
Hugs,
Laura

cedarmerefarm said...

What lovely shots.