27 November 2010

Queen of the Night cactus


Last night my neighbour invited me to see her spectacular night-flowering cactus. Two long buds had been showing promise and slowly taking shape. On 26th November late in the afternoon, there were obvious signs that this was "the night" to watch with cameras poised.


I'd been able to witness this event also last year, and had written this article about a rather ordinary plant with an extra-ordinary flower. I guess it's a little reminiscent of the ugly duckling story.

2 comments:

Jan Castle said...

What a beautiful flower picture!!! So happy you got a picture...I got a picture of a lily that blooms only once every 7 years and then only once yearly...have to be in the right place at the right time...and you certainly were! Thanks for sharing the beauty Carole!
Jan Castle

Lyn S said...

What a spectacular flower Carole! Beautiful photography too!